Trexquant Alpha Research Competition
Trexquant Summer 2016 Alpha Research Competition has now ended. Stay tuned for our next competition!
To participate in the competition, all that is required is an interest in financial markets and enough programming experience to allow you to translate your ideas into MATLAB-like code. The objective of the competition is to create a variety of uncorrelated signals, which we call Alphas, that are profitable across varying market conditions.
- Competition participants will use our intuitive web-based platform, Trexsim, to develop and backtest Alphas, which are statistical arbitrage signals for trading global equities.
- Trexsim has a variety of pre-cleaned data and built-in functions available, along with a framework to develop custom functions for data manipulation, which allows participants to rapidly iterate and backtest a variety of ideas. Competition participants thus avoid time-consuming data cleaning and simulation development effort, and instead directly focus on working with a variety of data to create useful trading signals.
- Senior quantitative researchers from Trexquant will conduct online tutorials and host weekly Q&A sessions to help entrants achieve the goal of finding profitable, uncorrelated Alphas.
- The competition lasts for seven weeks. At the conclusion of the event, we will score the Alphas created by each entrant, rank each candidate, and award prizes to the top performers.
1st place: USD 5,000
2nd place: USD 4,000
3rd place: USD 3,000
4th place: USD 2,000
5th to 10th place: USD 1,000 each
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. To enter, you must be at least 18 and age of majority in your jurisdiction of residence. Current and former employees, interns, alpha research trainees and contractors, and their immediate family members of Sponsor or any entity involved in developing or administering the Competition are not eligible. Eligibility is subject to verification. Subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws. All taxes are responsibility of Winners. All entries become the property of Sponsor. Odds of winning depend on number and quality of eligible entries received. Other restrictions apply, see competition rules. Sponsored by Trexquant Investment LP, 300 First Stamford Place, Fourth Floor East, Stamford, CT 06902.
- What is an alpha?
An alpha is an algorithm that makes trading decisions based on a formula that you design using a variety of variables. Alphas are inspired by a variety of sources — such as academic publications and statistical analysis — and rely on a variety of technical, fundamental, and other data as input.
- What do I need to know to develop an alpha?
You need basic knowledge of financial markets and technical skills to translate your ideas into mathematical formulas. Introductory
knowledge of a scripting language, such as MATLAB, is recommended in order to translate Alpha ideas into software code.
- Who can participate?
Anyone over 18 years of age who meets the eligibility requirements.
- How will alphas be evaluated?
The alphas will be evaluated using a proprietary algorithm for strong performance and diversity. Further details are in the competition rules.
- What features does Trexsim alpha development platform have?
* Detailed tutorials on Alpha design.
* A library of common built-in functions.
* Various data sets to use as inputs to Alphas.
* Ability to develop custom operators.
* In-sample and out-of-sample back-testing.
Overall, Trexsim is optimized for conducting efficient research. Users spend time creating and implementing Alphas. Sourcing and cleaning data, developing a simulator, as well as storing and tracking results, are already taken care of by Trexsim.